Friday, June 11, 2010

2 Healthy Breakfast Treats

Some old breakfast recipes I've shared in the past, back by request.  (It's easier to just post them a second time than try to find them from a year ago to tell people how to find them.)  Here's a great one for using local ingredients--it's really easy and simple:

Applesauce Bars

1 1/2 c applesauce
1 1/2 c oats
1/4 c flour
1 egg
1/2 c walnuts
2/3 c raisins or dates

Mix.  [You could optionally add sweetner like honey or sugar if desired.]  Add walnuts and dried fruit last.  Pour into 8x11 greased baking dish.  Sprinkle cinnamon (or cinnamon sugar) on the top.  Bake at 375 degrees for 45 min. to an hour or until golden and bar-like in texture. 

Applesauce bars are simple and nutritious, and make a good and hearty breakfast.  They are a hit with the kids.  The muffin recipe I use is less "local" (since it is sweetened with bananas--never local for Philly--and calls for blueberries--which will only be local this upcoming year if I can get my hands on lots of unsprayed ones to freeze before my baby comes next month), but is actually more of a hit with the adults.

Wholegrain Banana Blueberry Muffins

wet ingredients:
3 T olive oil
1 c applesauce (or blended mango)
3 mashed bananas
3 eggs
~1/2 c milk or soymilk
4 1/2 T honey


dry ingredients:
1 1/2 c flax
1 1/2 t baking soda
2 1/4 c flour blend (any whole grain flour blend)
3/4 t cinnamon

Mix wet ingredients and dry ingredients separately, then combine.  Last fold in 2/3 c walnuts and 1 generous cup of blueberries or raspberries.  Put into 2 muffin tins (makes 2 dozen).  Bake at 375 degrees for about 15-20 min.



Enjoy!  They're both good healthy breakfast recipes!  
 




2 comments:

  1. Is the applesauce sweetened? Is it some you made? I want to try the bars, but I'm just wondering what I should use. I have some canned applebutter (that would add additional sweetness), any thoughts?!

    You need to post a pregnancy photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kim! I cook cored apples in a tiny bit of water on the stove (while I'm mixing the other ingredients) and then make applesauce in my blender by just blending them up. I don't sweeten this recipe at all, but it's really not that sweet (the raisins are sweet, but the actual bars aren't). My kids are thrilled with them as they are, otherwise I'd add honey (most people would probably like them a little sweeter). Applebutter is an intriguing idea. I've never baked with it. Maybe use it in place of part of the applesauce--or all? It would be sweeter . . . Hmm, the bars don't really rise, so you don't need the applesauce for that. You need to tell me what you do and how it turns out! I often double the recipe (my boys finish off one recipe in a day).

    And I will try to get a pregnancy picture up this week, I've been meaning to. :)

    ReplyDelete