Friday, February 11, 2011

Beef Cubes and Green Beans over Mashed Potatoes

This was a really, really good and really, really easy recipe.  I made it up at 4:30 because I needed something and kept adding as I went.  I started with the beef cubes I'd defrosted in the morning with no plan for what to do with them, and really, it was about as easy as it gets.  I'm actually blogging about it so I can remember it for next time.

Disclaimer:  Nothing is measured, this is a guess of how much I used.

beef cubes (~1 and 1/2 lb.)
thin sliced onion (1/2)
one to two quarts green beans (frozen is fine--I have frozen quart bags of summer green beans)
2-3 T brown mustard
2 T worchesterchire
1-2 T soy sauce
1/2 - 3/4 c white wine
2 T rice wine vinegar

Boil water with the potatoes in it.  The mashed potatoes took the longest of anything.   

Saute the beef cubes in a little olive oil on low heat.  When they're mostly cooked but not quite all the way, add the liquid ingredients above (I mixed them all together briskly before adding them).  Then I added the onion, and when it was simmering I added the frozen green beans.  The beef was ready before the mashed potatoes. 

Then I made the mashed potatoes and served.  It was easy.  I had baked apples for dessert which was nice.

Tell me how it turned out when you made it!  Did you tweak it at all?  What did you serve it with?

2 comments:

  1. Made your recipe this week to rave reviews from the fam (subbed brocc for beans). I don't usually think of a making mustard-based sauce; now I will! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I loved this! We're going to have it again tonight I think! :)

    ReplyDelete