Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Black Raspberry Rhubarb

 
 Move over strawberries . . . here come black raspberries.  These are my favorite thing I grow.  And (thank you, Uncle Darry!) I have a great variety of canes, not that I know what variety that is.  But they are so sweet and really thriving.  I'm really excited for next year because I decided to expand my raspberry section with the baby plants that showed up this year.  Really, a bunch of raspberries (which sell for about $5/pint in my neck of the city) is just a tastier and more cost-effective use of my land than saving more room for say, zucchini.  I just started getting some this week, still just a few handfuls a day, but I think it'll pick up a little soon.  I have red raspberries in the front that bear in the fall.  This year I had to pinch off a few early flowers off of that one--those reds better not try to cross with my beloved black raspberries.
 

 Tonight I tried something new.  Since we don't yet have enough raspberries for everyone to have more than 5 or 6 at a time, I thought I'd pick a few of my bigger rhubarb leaves and make some black raspberry rhubarb sauce.  It was really, really good.  I just made it like my strawberry rhubarb sauce but put in the black raspberries in place of the strawberries.  I don't know, I might like it even better.


I think the grapes will be the next to grace our table with fruit.  God is so good!  Imagine, all this abundance in inner city Philadelphia!

1 comment:

  1. Best raspberries ever!! Even better than cookies for dessert. :) A compliment I don't throw around lightly...

    ReplyDelete