Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Strawberries from the Garden

Micah and Jesse helped me pick 8 strawberries from our garden this afternoon.  That actually made a rather significant yield.  Added to the local strawberries I bought over the weekend, they made a lovely strawberry milkshake.  The family agreed that it was an amazing milkshake (Micah called it a miracle).  Here's the simple and extremely tasty recipe:
Strawberry Milkshake
Wash and trim a generous pint of strawberries (that's a little over 1/2 quart), then lay out on a plate to freeze.  Leave in the freezer at least an hour (I did more like 45 minutes, but they weren't frozen enough and I had to add more ice).  Put about one cup of whole milk and one cup of kefir (or plain yogurt) in the blender (do 2 cups milk if you're not using the yogurt).  Add the frozen berries.  Add a few ice cubes (or if your berries are really frozen you could skip the ice).  Add about 1/8 to 1/6 cup sugar (I used a little more than 1/6 of a cup because kefir is a little bitter and because I had to add a fair amount of ice--and it turned out very sweet.  If I'd planned ahead and had very frozen berries and been able to skip the ice I'd have used a little less.)  
Next for the raspberries!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment