Thursday, August 9, 2012

Perspectives on Bad Meat

I made spaghetti for the second time here tonight, and it reminded me of something from my first week or so here.  I had bought ground beef and ground pork to make spaghetti and they had an unfamiliar odor when I opened the package.  It was a few days past the day on the package and I was wondering if that was a use by or sell by date (and since it's all in Spanish with symbols and short-hand all their own, I can't tell).  So I asked my maid to look at the date and smell the meat and tell me what she thought.  She looked at the package and explained to me in Spanish that this one was OK because the year was 2012, but if I got one that said 2011 I shouldn't eat it.  One of the scariest moments here yet.  :)

She then taught me the meat soaking method here: all meat, including ground beef, gets soaked in vinegar and water.  I have to say, it is a very unappealing process, trying to catch floating bits of ground beef to put in the pan.  And it tastes very different.  I so prefer Dominican type foods with Dominican ingredients to trying to do American (or I guess Italian, in this case) with Dominican ingredients.

How is everyone's summer going?  Ready for fall?  Any fun end of summer trips?

We took a horseback ride to a waterfall the other day with Owen's school, as an orientation trip.  It was beautiful, albeit a bit terrifying to have Abigail balanced on the saddle in front of me (with the saddle horn broken off so I had to jam my fingers under the saddle to keep us both on).  Thankfully for all of us, these very young (7 to 10 year-old?) boys hopped on the back of our horses to keep us on track.  That was wonderful, though mine really had trouble believing that Abigail and I truly preferred not to gallop.  :)  And I just about died/died laughing when our ride included going down a bank and later crossing a stream.

Micah's birthday will be in 6 days.  Then the pressure's on.  There are birthday expectations, I hope we can live up to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment