Monday, April 5, 2010

Urban Gardening Planting schedule (zone 5b)

Here in Philadelphia, we're at the beginning of the spring planting.  I put in a few things in March, but hope to get most of the seeds in in April and some of the plants in the ground around Mother's Day.  From what I've heard and read (and contrary to what I thought before), the early bird doesn't always catch the worm.  Even if your plants survive the nights, they might not be as healthy if they are too cold in the beginning.  I think my planting schedule will look something like this:

March: 
  • peas, arugula, spring onion, sugar peas, and broccoli rabe (seeded in ground)
  • tomatoes, eggplant, crookneck squash, buttercup squash, zucchini, cucumber, celery (indoors)
April - early May
  • green beans, radishes, lettuce, swiss chard, kale, basil (seeded in ground)
  • tomatoes, eggplant, crookneck squash, buttercup squash, zucchini, cucumber, celery (seedlings put outside) . . . and pepper and herb plants I'll have to buy since I didn't start those from seed
  • (plant raspberries and strawberries if you didn't last year)
June
  • second planting of green beans
  • carrot, kale, arugula, leeks (seeded in ground, to harvest in fall or spring)

No comments:

Post a Comment