For those who don't feel like actually reading the directions, I will summarize Julie Filips's advice as follows:
- Preheat a cast-iron skillet (or oven-proof one) to 500 degrees in the oven.
- Use hot pads to remove and put on burner, turn to high.
- Put steak on dry skillet.
- Fry both sides a few minutes.
- Put back in oven a 3-5 minutes until desired doneness.
- Put under foil, and pour 1/2 c red wine in the skillet. Reduce to 1/3 c while boiling. Turn off heat and add 2 T butter. Pour over meat.
Next time will probably be quite a ways off. I'm still not doing the big slab of meat thing regularly.
Happy Valentine's Day, Owen!