Monday, October 5, 2009

Sourdough Bread: Attempt #1, Result--partial failure

This actually looks better than it tastes.  It was only pretty good with lots of jelly.  I don't think I can actually repeat this recipe exactly, because I add a different flour to my starter each time I feed it.  The recipe I use, based on major adaptations to one on, was:

2 and 1/2 c amaranth, millet, quinoa flour (ground in a coffee grinder)
1 c buckwheat flour
1/4 c flaxmeal
1 c warm water
1/2 c sourdough starter
1/2 t salt
1/4 c olive oil
flour for dusting; garlic powder and sesame seeds to sprinkle on after last rise and after rubbed with olive oil

Next time I won't let it rise in the crockpot.  It sort of started baking.  I think that was why it didn't rise enough and got really hard.  I'll also use honey to sweeten it a little.  I also might use whey or kefir in place of the water or part of it, just to see.


  1. jacob.frey@verizon.netOctober 06, 2009

    Val, don't be discouraged with your bread. Each time will come out a little different, sometimes you know why but sometimes not. Hang in there, you're doing great!
    Love, Bunky

  2. Thanks, I will try again! I ordered some flours I want to try in my 2nd attempt. I'll keep you posted!