Monday, February 10, 2014

Living Loud


On the drive back down the mountains this weekend I was struck with how much I've gotten used to things here, how I've come to adapt to the vividness of life here--what was initially just sensory overload I've come to be able to process more and even appreciate (with the definite exception of loud noises or music at night).


There are stark contrasts here: wide open spaces like rice paddies and long coastal beaches near crowded barrios and trash-littered streets packed with cars, motos, and pedestrians; the sounds of ocean waves with loud music from neighborhood corner-stores;  beautiful orange and red flowering trees, frilly palm trees and tall-reaching ferns growing next to poor and dilapidated houses (perched, at times, precariously on cliffs overlooking breath-taking views).


Paint and clothing colors are bright.  The sun is harsh.  It is a land of extremes.


Crazy driving, motos toting huge gas tanks, spontaneous dumps near fruit trees and a creek.  Friendly smiles and extreme kindness, impatient honking, neighbors stopping by with herb tea creations for a child sick with stomach flu.


And the more I get used to it the more I wonder how I'll adjust again to a calmer, quieter, more sanitized--muted--life.  I think it may be harder than I'd anticipated.

3 comments:

  1. Val, I love these pictures! Why don't you invite me to visit? (Just kidding :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, does that mean you will be returning to the States after this school year?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not at all--it means that while I found it overwhelming here at first, I think my eventual return to the states may be difficult b/c it may feel so muted. It looks like we'll be here some years more, si Dios quiere . . . :)

    ReplyDelete