Thursday, January 27, 2011

Baked Oatmeal: Old-School


I decided I'd try reheating yesterday's oatmeal the old-fashioned way and made baked oatmeal last weekend.  I feel overly microwave dependent, and thought I'd see how it worked if I put it in the oven.  I put the leftover oatmeal from the fridge (which was actually a blend of steel-cut oats, millet, quinoa, and amaranth cooked on the stove until thick and soft) into a shallow baking dish.  I added milk, honey, frozen blueberries, walnuts, flaxmeal, and sprinkled cinnamin over the top.  Then I baked it in the oven until it was bubbling--less than 45 minutes.  It would take longer in a deeper dish.  It tasted very much the same as stovetop, but gave me the satisfaction of not doing it the modern "lazy" way and warmed the kitchen nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment