But I knew that it was going to be a while until I could make any again, seeing as I had made it impossible to save any of my starter. Which would either end my happy trip down sourdough lane or prove that I had my starter recipe nailed down.
As soon as I had my bread all mixed up, before I even baked it, I got out a jar and added some flour and water. I added some sugar and some kefir. Two more times on Wednesday I fed my starter. By Thursday it was bubbly and active. I fed it three times a day on Thursday and Friday, too. Today (Saturday) it was ready to make into bread. It made more good bread!
Three things I learned:
- My sourdough starter recipe rocks
- NEVER empty all of the starter into a bowl
- Keep more starter around (use a bigger jar and feed it more each time)
The smaller objects are there to offer a size-comparison for the enormous jar of starter on the left.