Thursday, July 9, 2009

Garden Update


This time of year, it's hard to get good help in the garden. Everybody's working their own land. These two guys are the best I could do. I made them get their hair cut, they looked like a disgrace before. Every farm's gotta have some standards you know.

So I know you've all been waiting to hear about the status of the garden. Well, things have taken an even more serious turn of late, and we (Micah, Jesse, and I--Owen can't decide whether to laugh, or cry depending on what new way I've found to spend money on our garden, he's not really part of the "we" in this case) have decided to become four season gardeners (as in, yes, I've read another book, Eliot Coleman's Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long). I'd like to provide most of the family's food from our little city garden. We're somewhat late to the punch for this year. We should have been growing all manner of winter squash and more substantial foods (I mean, cantalope and cucumbers will be lovely, but probably will not feed us through the winter).

Anyway, in the long term this will mean things like cold frames, trellises, netting, and possibly a root cellar. But in the short term, it means I'm still squeezing in summer crops in July in little spaces in the garden. Fall crops begin in August, so here's hoping summer crops hurry up. I'm not alone, though, I heard this year is late for crops due to rainy cool weather in May. I should really start my crops about a month earlier next year. Some of them, anyway.
Here's the nitty gritty:
Greenbeans- pretty good yield every few days
Cantalopes- no sign of anything bigger than a tiny flower
Chard, Kale- rather lame, so leaves picked
Basil- good
Blueberries- dying?
Cucumbers- one really big plant, lots of tiny ones so far
Zucchini- four or five tiny ones, plants look healthy
Lettuce- a few big salads worth
Broccoli rabe- two good pickings late May
Strawberries- a few here and there

No comments:

Post a Comment